While there are no short-cuts to losing weight, there are a few things you can do to boost your metabolism. Exercising regularly and getting plenty of sleep are two of the best things you can do. However, there are also plenty of foods that speed metabolism, so adding them to your diet may give you the extra edge to lose more weight. Below is a list of ten foods that speed metabolism. Think of these foods as support mechanisms on your path towards fat loss, as any diet that keeps the pounds off requires sustained effort and exercise.
1. Hot peppers-Jalapeno, habanero, cayenne and other forms of spicy peppers directly boost metabolism and circulation. In fact, eating hot peppers not only speeds up your metabolism, it also reduces cravings. This is related to its capsaicin content, a constituent that stimulates the body’s pain receptors, temporarily increasing blood circulation and metabolic rate. If you have ever experienced a bout of intense sweating after eating a particularly hot tamale, this shouldn’t come as a surprise. In fact, studies have shown that eating hot peppers can boost the metabolism by up to 25%, with the spike lasting for up to 3 hours.
2. Whole Grains– Oatmeal & Brown Rice-Whole grains are chock-full of nutrients and complex carbohydrates that speed up metabolism by stabilizing our insulin levels. Slow-release carbs, such as oatmeal, brown rice and quinoa offer long-lasting energy, without the spikes associated with other sugar-rich foods. We want to keep our insulin levels low, as spikes in this chemical tell the body that it needs to begin storing extra fat.
3. Broccoli-High in calcium (a known weight-reducer), broccoli is also extraordinarily high in vitamins C, K and A. One serving of broccoli will also provide you with plenty of folate and dietary fiber, plus a variety of antioxidants. Broccoli is also one of the best detox foods you can add to your diet.
4. Soups-Studies show that people who eat soups eat less solid food with their main meals. One study on soup done at Penn State University found that the liquid goodness offered a appetite reducing combination of liquids and solids that reduced intake of excess foods, speeding up the metabolism for fat burning. In the study, women chose one of three 270-calorie snacks before lunch.
5. Green Tea-It is now becoming a well-known fact, through multiple scientific studies, that green tea extract significantly increases metabolism, as well as provide a variety of other health benefits. Not only is it delicious, but it’s also rich in the antioxidants needed for optimal health.
6. Apples and Pears-Studies show that these two fruits help boost metabolism and speed up weight loss. A study done at the State University of Rio de Janeiro found that women eating three small apples or pears daily, lost more weight than women who did not. Apples and pears are also two fruits that you want to eat organic.
7. Spices-From cayenne to garlic to cinnamon, spices are one of the best ways you can keep your metabolic rates high. Especially speedy are the more pungent spices such as black pepper, mustard seeds, powdered onion and ginger. One Canadian study found the use of spices enabled people to burn up to 1,000 more calories daily than those not incorporating spices into their diet.
8. Foods High in Calcium-A study done at the University of Tennessee found that people who consumed 1,200-1,300 milligrams of calcium a day lost almost double the amount of weight as those who were not getting enough calcium in their diet. To help boost your metabolism, eat plenty of foods high in calcium. If you are unable to eat more of these foods, then you should consider taking a calcium supplement.
9. Foods High in Omega-3’s-Foods that are high in Omega-3 fatty acids are a great way to speed your metabolism. These acids reduce the production of a hormone called leptin, a natural chemical thatlowers metabolism. Animal studies done at the University of Wisconsin found that lab mice with low leptin levels produced faster metabolic rates than mice with higher levels of the hormone.
Another study done by the Mayo Clinic found that African tribes with a heavy fish-based diet had leptin levels up to five times lower than tribes that did not consume fish. Please keep in mind that there are many other nutritional sources of Omega-3 fatty acids, besides fish. These foods include many nuts and seeds. Hemp oil and flax seed oil are both great additions to your diet, as they are naturally high in essential fatty acids.
10. Purified Water-Okay, it’s not exactly a food, but it is a metabolism booster. A recent German study found that drinking water speeds up fat burning. It is also a natural appetite suppressant and detoxifier. Other Ways to Boost Your Metabolism-Besides the foods listed above, there are many other ways you can boost your metabolism. First off, don’t drink sugary sodas, energy drinks and other fatty, high processed foods. While some of these foods may give you a caffeine boost, they will not help you lose weight or boost metabolism. Whenever you eat do eat the metabolism boosting foods listed above, be sure to chew them thoroughly, as this will aid in proper digestion. Be sure to get plenty of sleep. Try to reduce your stress levels as much as you can. Follow a regular exercise routine that consists of lots of cardio. Doing a colon cleanse and a liver flush are two other great ways to increase your metabolism and improve your overall health.
Punch Kettlebell Gym Dover