You’ve set your New Years Resolution, joined a gym and you’re all set to drop that 20 pounds you’ve promised yourself you’d lose for years. Your motivation is high and you know you can do it!
Dover Personal Trainers say that is fantastic news, but it’s time to temper your enthusiasm with a bit of reality. The fact is your motivation is very high right now and that’s a good thing. Your motivation, however, isn’t going to last forever. When you’re 30 days in and that scale doesn’t say what you would have hoped, you need a plan in place to keep yourself going.
So, how can you bolster your motivation and make sure it stays on course? There are a few fairly simple tricks that can help you retain your desire to achieve even when the going gets tough. Dover Personal Trainers reveal these 5 proven winners to help yourself stay on track:
1. Publicize Your Goals – Make your goals public for all to see and frequently provide updates of your progress for them to follow. Dover Personal Trainers explain doing this is like drinking rocket fuel! Others will now encourage you to succeed, and believe me, you will be successful. Now that your goal or challenge is public, all eyes are on you and failure is not an option!
2. Get A Workout Buddy – When you work out alone, it’s all too easy to quit in the last 10 minutes. It’s also a whole lot easier to skip a day here and there. You need a way to hold yourself accountable to overcome those dips in motivation that are very likely to occur. Instead of going it alone, workout with a friend. Keep up with personal training sessions. Join a group exercise class. Dover Personal Trainers say just do something that involves another human being that can help hold your feet to the fire if and when the urge to quit strikes.
3. Challenge Yourself – For those of us who choose to live the fitness lifestyle, staying motivated long term sometimes can be a difficult task. There is one sure fire way to keep yourself charged for the long term journey…challenge yourself! Dover Personal Trainers teach regularly challenging yourself with goals that are outside your comfort zone will keep you focused, committed, and accountable to your training. So get signed up for a local fitness challenge or race, let everyone know you’re doing it and if possible get your friends involved.
4. Set Realistic Goals – Saying you want to lose 100 pounds is great, but it’s a pretty big number to shoot for. While it’s a great idea to have an end goal, try setting smaller ones along the way. Use milestone goals to help keep yourself going. Dover Personal Trainers encourage to give yourself rewards when you attain these milestones, too. Little things like a massage or a day at the salon for losing five or 10 pounds can motivate you to keep reaching for loftier goals.Use the S.M.A.R.T. method when setting goals: Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Timely.
5. Get A Coach – Not having the knowledge to put a complete program together is one of the most common problems most people face. There is so much information on health and fitness out there, and most of it frankly is incorrect even from the so called “experts”. To avoid information overload and make sure you are on the right path and making the best use of your time and efforts, seek a coach who has years of experience backed by proven results.
Losing weight and living the fitness lifestyle is a long-term journey that calls for motivation. If you’ve been told that you can just take some pills or drink a couple of shakes and drop a dress size over the weekend, you have been lied to. What is it they say? “It works like magic”…yeah right! Fitness and health has to be a lifestyle! Which means you have to be in it for the long haul! Keep your motivation high by enlisting some help.
If you would like some help from one of our fitness experts click Dover Personal Trainer now.
Punch Kettlebell Gym Dover
Best Selling Fitness Author
“3 Steps To Your Best Body In Record Time”