By Dawn, with help on modifications from Teresa
Note: This recipe is higher in sodium, if you are watching your sodium intake, you will want to make some substitutions. I will note them next to the ingredients I use. The nutrition info at the bottom is based on the exact ingredients that I used, so if you change them, it will most likely change the nutrition info.
1 pkg. (1.25 lbs) of Perdue 99% fat free ground turkey
½ pkg. Tinkyada Brown Rice lasagna noodles
1 jar Bove spaghetti sauce (low sodium, use no salt added canned tomatoes seasoned with garlic, basil, and oregano
1 – 16 oz. container Friendship 1% cottage cheese (use no salt added cottage cheese)
1 cup Kraft fat free mozzarella cheese, shredded
2 teaspoons Parmesan cheese (low fat)
3 egg whites
1 medium onion, chopped
2 ½ teaspoons basil, separated
1 ½ teaspoons garlic, separated
¼ teaspoon thyme
¼ teaspoon oregano
¼ teaspoon rosemary
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions, till al dente, almost done
- In a nonstick skillet, sauté onion till translucent over med heat, about 5 min. Add ground turkey, 1 ½ teaspoons of basil, 1 teaspoon of garlic, thyme, oregano, and rosemary. Cook till ground turkey is no longer pink, chopping it up as small as you like. About 5-10 minutes. Add spaghetti sauce and remove from heat
- In a medium sized bowl, mix cottage cheese, mozzarella cheese, egg whites, remaining garlic and basil, and parmesan cheese.
- Lightly grease an 8”x8” square pan.
- Spread about ½ cup of meat mixture in bottom of pan.
- Layer lasagna noodles, best if they don’t overlap, or touch the edge of the pan.
- Top with 1/3 of the remaining meat mixture. Spread to the edges of the pan to cover the edges of the pasta. This will prevent the edges from getting overcooked.
- Top with 1/3 of the cheese mixture and spread to cover meat.
- Repeat steps 7-9 2 more times, ending with cheese.
- Spray a piece of tin foil with nonstick spray and cover the lasagna
- Bake for 45 minutes, remove foil and bake an additional 15-20 minutes or until cheese is golden. You can place the dish on a cookie sheet or put a cookie sheet on the rack under it to catch spills.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes.
Makes 6 servings
Calories – 477
Calories from fat – 75
Total fat – 6g
Sat fat – 2g
Trans fat – 0g
Cholesterol – 55mg
Sodium – 1000mg
Carbohydrates – 35g
Dietary Fiber – 2g
Sugar – 4g
Protein – 71g
Potassium – 235mg